Saturday, September 22, 2012

Off with her legs!

This is the trunk we have had in our living room for years.  We have used it for a coffee table and as storage for the dozens of VHS tapes we own.  Prior to painting it with CeCe Caldwell's  Traverse City Cherry it was black.  Someone, ok it was me, decided to add feet or legs to the trunk to make it more "table" like.  We waxed it with clear and dark aging waxes and buffed it. 

 



It sat on the furniture slides until the wax hardened.

I really like how it fits under the table.

We shared this pic with friends and it didn't get many thumbs up.  In fact some of the very people who live in this house couldn't stand it.  While most were not opposed to the color, it was the legs that got the worst reviews.  Even I was not sure about the color or the legs. We gave it a fair trial period, about three weeks.




After surfing the oodles of blogs and websites on furniture painting and refinishing I came across something that I had to try on the trunk.  Martha Stewart Metallic Glaze (available at The Home Depot) in Black Coffee!  It was easy to use and I think I payed less than $5.00 for it.  Here you can see I have applied the glaze to the side, the top has not been glazed yet.



Then I waited a few minutes and wiped away the excess glaze until I was happy with the finish.  I also removed quite a bit of paint from the hardware before glazing.  






The glaze tempered the red and added a great gilded finish.  


And.. no more legs!!


Thanks for reading!  ~ Mrs. B


Get your linky party on at:


5 comments:

  1. Oh my! I love this. I've been wanting a trunk for our living room for a couple of years now but have yet to find the perfect one. The lack of legs make it look so much more original and vintage. This was a fantastic makeover! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it much better than before as well! It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That trunk is gorgeous with legs and without! Great transformation.

    Thanks so much for sharing this at Say G'Day Saturday. I'm going to share this on Google+ and on Pinterest!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete